Thursday, December 27, 2007

A Nice Meeting

As a follow up to the Rampage post. WOS actually came over last night to see his daughter. His called a friend of his that he has known for 30 years, (the chick that he was going to have bring him over during my mental breakdown and got a ride.) I had only talked to her on the phone and this was the first time I had met her. He brought presents for Olivia and flowers and a bottle of wine for me. (I like this girl already.)

Surprising enough, she is going through a divorce as well and her husband had a drinking problem which has now moved on to drugs. While WOS was with his daughter her and I went to Carlos for a couple margs. Her and I totally bonded. She laid it all out as far as how her and WOS have had yelling matches because she tells him to get his life straight and she can't hang out with crack heads and that he has done horrible things and that I do the best I can. We have the same views and outlooks on the drug culture and the treatment centers in our area. We have both attended the family counseling portion and thought they teach crap. The try to tell families of the addicts that the have a sickness, an illness, a disease. I have never believed this and neither does she. A few months back I watched an interview with Daniel Baldwin and he was discussing his own addiction to cocaine. They had a conselor from Promises, (I think.)The cost is like $50,000 a month. The interviewer asked if you could call this a disease or a sickness. His reply was, "Sure, if you never want to get better. This gives you an excuse to use." AMEN!!!! Finally someone has put what I thought into words. I wish the treatment centers here would follow this approach and quit making it seem like the addicts can't help it. They make a choice. Every time they get a paycheck they can either give it someone to hold or contribute to their families or they can cash it and buy drugs. You can go right home to your family after work or go to the bar and tie one on every night. It is a CHOICE!

So unfortunately for WOS his only friend right is a HUGE supporter of me and hopefully I can make for life a little easier through her divorce because of what I have already gone through.

No comments: